Haci Bektas-i Veli
Haci Bektas-i Veli was born in 1248 B.C. in Nishabur city of Khorasan in Iran and spent his childhood and youth in Khorasan; learned philosophy, social and technical sciences in Hoca Ahmet Yesevi Center and after travelling and studying Iran, Iraq, Arabia arrived in Anadolia in 1275/80 B.C. and settled in Hacibektas (formerly called Sulucakarahoyuk).
In that era Anatolia had been crushed under Mongolian invasion on the one part and had faced with great political and economic crisis as well as struggles of throne on the other part. Haci Bektas-i Veli who had settled in Sulucakarahoyuk in such condition improved his philosophy and began to educate students. His system of thought based on tolerance and love of human being had spread shortly to masses of great people in Cappadocia which had been a greet center of Christianity and adopted by the people.
- The end of path not leading science is dark,
- Educate women,
- Control your hand, waist, tongue!
- The greatest book to be read is human being
- Honesty is the door of friendship,
- The quality of a spiritual teacher is to give, not to receive,
- Universe is within Adam, Adam is within the Universe,
- Science is the light illuminating roads towards the reality,
- The end of road not led by science is dark,
- Our way has been established on science, knowledge and love of human,
- Clean up your dwelling place, deserve the money you earn,
- Let us unite together, let us be huge, alive,
- Do not hurt even if you were offended,
- Whatever becomes heavy for your own personality, do not make it applied to anybody,
- Happy is those who enlighten the darkness of thought,
- Perfection of a person is the beauty of his words,
Always bear in mind that even your enemy is a human,
- The biggest miracle is to work,
- Male, female are not questioned in the language of love.
- Everything created by God is placed orderly.
- Woman and man are not different according to us.
- Deficiency, shortness are in your views.
Haci Bektas-i Veli's Ideology
His philosophic thought has been based on existence of human being and love of human being. This thought has been reflecting the same understanding with 1948 Human Rights Universal Declaration. Thoughts of Haci Bektas-i Veli have been taken into consideration in 1923 by M. Kemal Ataturk approximately after 600 year, and a republic which is secular, democratic, respectful to human rights has been established. Despite such a long time passed, his thoughts have been preserving their effectiveness and proceeding to enlighten the path of humanity.
- Temperature is in fire, not in sheet iron,
- Miracle is in coat, not in crown,
- Whatever you look for, look for within yourself. Not in Jerusalem, Mecca, Pilgrimage.
Haci Bektas-i Veli who made a statement as "Difference in religion is unnecessary. In fact all religions are intended to establish peace and brotherhood in the World." Has been setting forth all of his views in his work called "Velayetname". The primary objective "Bektasilik" (following ideas of Bektasi) established on the basis of such system of thought of Haci Bektas-i Veli is to perceive unity of "Universe-God-Human" which is basically formed by love. Human being is a creature of love. Human being has been provided with divine (God-Like) qualifications. Initial phase of success is that human being should know and love himself/herself; because human being carries in himself/herself a divine gist and an individual who loves himself/herself loves also God. The perfect expression of love of God in "Bektasilik" has been found in the best manner in the following quatrain:
Their apprentices chip stone
After chipping present it to their Master
Mention the name of "God"
In every piece of that stone.
Human being is an independent creature in his/her living environment. His/her duty is to behave modest, to purify his/her core, to be mature, to remain far from showing-off and to be full of love of God. Humanly bodies are only a mean for attaining an objective. Therefore to divide people as Woman and Man, or to despise them according to their social positions or their races are the biggest fault that can be performed. Women and Men, all human beings are equal. Thoughts of Haci Bektas-i Veli have been prevailing still today and have been celebrated with great enthusiasm every year on dates of 15-16-17 August in township of Hacibektas of Nevsehir province.